Rachel and I made it safely to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia yesterday and have had a fabulous day with friends! A quick recap of the past 50 hours:
- Departed from DIA to LAX and had to say good-bye to my sweet sister who has been one of my biggest supporters in life
- Saw the beautiful trees and their changing colors while flying over the Rocky Mountains
- Delayed flight out of DIA meant our connection in LA was TIGHT! The gate agents had called Rachel and me both but neither of us heard our phones while going through security again, but by the grace of God we got on board even though they'd already printed the boarding list!
- Flight to Dublin and then Addis were uneventful and actually enjoyable on the new 787 Dreamliner in an exit row none the less - Hello leg room!
- Breezed through getting our Visas and customs
- Checked into GT Guest House
- Coffee at Kaldi's with friends
- Lunch at Antica with Addy and her dear friend (drinking Ambo!)
- Purchased the remaining school supplies!
- Afternoon nap
- Dinner at Santorini's Greek Restaurant to celebrate Rachel's birthday!!
Happy Birthday Rachel!! I couldn't ask for a better friend and travel buddy! Most of you probably don't know, but Ethiopia is on a completely different calendar that most of the world. It's actually 2009 here which means Rachel did not turn another year older but actually lost 7 years by coming here! Also - Rachel has her own site <Electrica> with a blog going as well. Check it out and follow along with her!